Ferryhouse

Quotes
"I accept that the boys experienced enormous anxiety and fear".
Quotes
You have heard evidence, which I think you don't doubt, that bare fists were used from time to time? A. I certainly don't doubt that the open hand was used.
Quotes
They had to accept "there was quite an amount of truth in what people were saying to us, perhaps even more than we knew at that stage".
Quotes
Most staff, many with little education and none with training in childcare, were from rural backgrounds.
Quotes
they came across institutions where children were being punished, not at the time of a misdemeanour, but were later gathered on a stairway, were made to strip off, and were then beaten.
Tuesday, May 09, 2006
Food & Clothing
Can you understand, on the basis of the evidence that you have heard in relation to how poor the clothing was, how poor the bedding was, how poor the food was as to why all the people who were supposed to be going into these places for care, going in because the family situation was so dire, the poverty was so dire, that they are now looking and wondering why with the capitation grants that were paid that the food wasn't better, that the clothing wasn't better?

A. I'm not quibbling at all with what you are saying that at times clothes were very poor, or that towels or that sheets were in poor condition, I accept that and I can understand why people are saying that. A lot of it probably does come back, I believe a lot of it comes back to finance. I know that we have handed over whatever we have by way of documentation in that regard to some experts for the Commission and that they are doing, presumably, a report on that.

Q. Given that Ferryhouse had its own farm, and we have heard mention of pigs being raised, we have heard mention of potatoes, we have heard people talk about going out to other farms to do work over the summer and that sort of thing, is there any explanation as to why,
one, the quantity of the food was so poor and secondly the quality was so poor?

I wouldn't make much of the fact that we had a farm. Insofar as I don't think that -- I would say the records show there is few enough religious Congregations over the years who have made any profit out of farming, any significant profit. But nevertheless it was viewed at the time as a source of produce for the school and, obviously, to some degree it did produce some. I absolutely accept that at times it was not enough. I absolutely accept that children
were hungry, that children were cold. I absolutely accept all of those things.

From The Commission Transcripts into the Rosminians
posted by The Knitter @ 11:24 PM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: The Knitter
Home: Ireland
About Me: The Ryan Report I hold fast to the view that there must be no more deals, secret or otherwise done between Religious orders and the Government of Ireland without indepth consultation with people who were abused while in the care of religious orders or the state.
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Links
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER